Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Superfood Spice You Should Be Using

Turmeric is one of my favorite superfood spices to incorporate into my meals. This bright yellow colored spice is used in many Indian curry recipes - its what makes curry powder & mustard yellow. It’s got big anti-inflammatory qualities - which helps prevent chronic diseases like arthritis and cancer. Turmeric is also healing to the skin, helps with digestion and is a natural remedy for menstrual cramps. The science is there for this. In a major study, turmeric was found to outperform pharmaceuticals in fighting many chronic diseases (read more here). Studies have also suggested that turmeric may aid in weight management by helping to regulate your metabolism.


So, obviously we now know how awesome turmeric is for you. How do you incorporate into your diet? First, if you can, buy it fresh - it looks very similar to ginger root. I can’t find it fresh anywhere near where I live, so I use the powdered spice. If you juice, try juicing it or stirring a teaspoon into your juices. Turmeric tea lattes are also popular these days. I often add turmeric to salad dressings. But, my absolute favorite way to incorporate Turmeric into my diet is by making Indian-inspired dishes. Below is one of my favorite recipes, taught to me by my friend & amazing cook, Daksha.


Yellow Rice
Gather:
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 bell pepper
1/2 red onion
1 bunch of celery
Coconut oil
2 cups brown Basmati rice
Clove of garlic
1 tsp turmeric
Salt to taste


Make it:
Finely dice/chop veggies in food processor.
Put coconut oil in large shallow pan on medium. Add rice & toast - stir often..
Add veggies & continue to stir. Cook for about 5-10 minutes until onion looks cooked.
Add 4 c water or broth, turmeric, pinch of salt, and grate clove of garlic over top. Cover & simmer until rice is cooked.

I like this served with some steamed kale on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment