Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Tempeh Kabob'n It

I got an awesome new grill last fall, so I've been playing with some veggie grillin' recipes. Here's one I created for tempeh kabobs. Tempeh is a fermented soybean cake. It's a great protein source for vegans like me. Plus, its slightly less processed than tofu. They carry it at our "regular" grocery stores here in the tofu section. 

Gather up:
4 cups water
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp mustard
1-2 tsp hot sauce (to taste)
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (make sure its vegan if you are plant-powered)
2 tbsp agave nectar 
1 package of tempeh
Your veggies - get creative! I used bell peppers, onion, mushroom and cherry tomatoes
Skewers - I like the metal kind

Bring to a boil and add one block of tempeh - then simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add juice of one lime. When cool cut into chunks that are about 1.5" - you don't want the the tempeh to break when you "kabob" it.

For the veggies on the kabob: chop up some bell peppers, then put aside along with some whole cherry tomatoes and button mushrooms. I used onions here too but I didn't like them. Pineapple would be great here too.


Use metal skewers, or soak bamboo skewers in water. Make up your kabobs & put on the grill. Have your grill at about 375. Cook for 8 minutes. Brush all of the kabobs with bbq sauce (I used Rancho Gordo's "La Paloma Mild Sauce for Hot People") & flip. Brush other side with sauce. Grill for another 8 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment