Saturday, July 26, 2014

Summer Purslane Berry Smoothie

Last week, I purchased some purslane at my local farmer’s market. Purslane is something I had seen growing before as a weed! Here in Pennsylvania, it commonly grows along sidewalks & in the sidewalk cracks. It’s a succulent herb that looks like a mini jade plant. It’s also pretty pesky as a weed.
Little did I know that purslane is edible and super nutritious! Purslane contains more Omega 3 fatty acids (alpha-linolenic acid) than any other plant, and is high in vitamins A, C, B, E and the minerals Calcium, Magnesium, Iron and Potassium. It can be eaten raw or cooked and has a peppery-cucumbery taste.
I wasn’t sure what to do with purslane, so I gave it a try in a green smoothie. To my surprise, it was delicious! Look for some purslane in your yard or farmer’s market and give this yummy, nutricious smoothie a try!
Gather:
1 cup of purslane
1 cup of frozen berries
1 large kale leaf
1 frozen banana
1 tablespoon hemp seeds

Blend!

No comments:

Post a Comment