Friday, September 5, 2014

Amazing Green Enchiladas! Healthy too!

When I lived in California, one thing I loved was the best Mexican food. Here is Pennsylvania, it's pretty hard to find. Lately, I've been craving enchiladas with green sauce. I've tried making them using the premade enchilada sauce, but it just didn't taste fresh enough. So, I experimented with making my own, and was very happy with the results! Try making a large batch and freezing the extra for later. 

This recipe makes one batch of enchiladas.

12 tomatillos - chopped
3 cloves of garlic
3 poblano peppers - seeded
4 jalapeno peppers (seeded if you don't want it spicy)
Salt to taste
1 tsp cumin
1 lime - juiced
EVOO

Combine the tomatillos, garlic, poblanos and jalapenos on a baking sheet. Toss in olive oil. Bake at about 400 until everything is very tender. Put into your blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend! Done! (Even better, take it up a notch & slow roast on your charcoal grill until done)

Now, to make enchiladas, its pretty easy. Saute whatever you want to use for filling - I like black beans, onion and sweet potato until tender. Roll into tortillas (I like the Ezekial sprouted wheat or sprouted corn), then top with the green sauce and bake for about a half hour. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment